Monday, February 5, 2007

Super Bowl XLI

I have to say I think last night's Super Bowl was the most exciting football game I've seen in years. Part of it was the fact I didn't really have a vested interest, being a diehard Buffalo Bills fan, but it was well played with lots of exciting and unexpected turns. I'm happy for Peyton Manning, who finally has beat the criticism that he always chokes during the big games! And I was pleased to see two nicely done commercial homages to the socially significant fact that two African-American coaches brought their teams to the Bowl. I was touched by Tony Dungy's acceptance speech, when he was asked about that very thing - who pointed out that more important to both Lovie & him was that it was two Christian coaches - who don't lead by fear & intimidation, but by inspiring respect and fostering true teamwork - that brought their teams to Miami this year.

Of course I can't talk about the Super Bowl without mentioning the commercials. Which were your favorites? Did you miss them? You can view some of them at: www.cbssportsline.com, and look for the "2007 Super Bowl Ads" link. My favorite ad that aired was the Blockbuster Total Access Ad with the mouse. Not available on the CBS site, but here's a link to IFILM, which has them all. http://www.ifilm.com/video/2819648. My next favorite had to be the first of the Budweiser ads "Rock, Paper, Scissors", although their Bud Light "Wedding Reception" with the auction style wedding was very funny, too. The Taco Bell lions are a huge improvement over the little chihuahua. I wasn't so sure about the American Heart Association turning a heart attack into a slapstick comedy ad, but if it gets through (especially to the guys) then great! And I loved the the Lays ads (Doritos, and their homage to the history making event of two black coaches) and think it will be interesting to see if the experiment of having fans pitch ads to win a chance to see their concept made into a commerical moves more mainstream.

I didn't get any stitching done, of course. I started out doing some knitting, but soon became so engrossed in the game I couldn't continue "clickin' it".

No comments: